Come and explore the charm and personality of Downtown Peterborough
Job Posting – Event Coordinator (Summer Position 2019)
The Peterborough Downtown Business Improvement Area (DBIA) is a non-profit organization that represents more than 400 businesses in the downtown core. Our mandate is to build and maintain a strong business area for the community, and promote the downtown area so that our businesses thrive and prosper.
The DBIA is looking to hire an Event Coordinator as a summer student position. This position will primarily involve assisting with coordinating and promoting Peterborough Pulse, an open streets event in downtown on July 27.
The Event Coordinator will report to the DBIA Executive Director and work closely with the Peterborough Pulse Coordinator. This position will play a key role in the execution of print and social media marketing and communications initiatives as well as assistance with organizing downtown events. A successful candidate will achieve success in this role if you are creative and dynamic, a team player with a strong sense of urgency, high attention to detail and superior verbal and written communication skills.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Work in conjunction with Peterborough Pulse committee around event organization and promotion
• Assist the Pulse Coordinator with meeting the street closure responsibilities, including insurance, risk management and emergency planning
• Schedule, execute and track creative social media plans
• Provide strong leadership in coordinating Peterborough Pulse
• Assist with organizing participating community groups and business
• Provide support for recruiting and training volunteers
• Support the implementation of marketing and communication plans including writing, editing, proofing and distributing promotional materials and event signage
• Design and create promotional materials and event signage
• Implement event branding in all print materials
• Initiate and guide conversations with our community via social media channels
• Attend and participate in Peterborough Pulse committee meetings
• Promote the Peterborough Pulse event through various community outreach activities
• Perform other duties as needed or assigned
• Post-secondary education in event organizing, marketing, or related field
• Relevant work experience is an asset
• Strong verbal and written communication skills including technical matters
• Previous proven experience in graphic design, communications, and social media
• Intermediate knowledge in Microsoft Office
• Ability to create digital content
• Self-motivated and ability to work independently with minimal supervision and guidance as a team player
• Proven evidence of superior organizational and interpersonal skills
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Excellent people relationship building skills
• Strong attention to details
• Superior organization skills
• Ability to work independently and under pressure
This position is partially funded through Canada Summer Jobs, and thus candidates must meet the following eligibility criteria:
• be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment
• be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment
• have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are asked to forward their resume and cover letter to Communications Manager Joel Wiebe at email@example.com by Friday, May 10th at 5 pm.
The Peterborough Downtown Business Improvement Area is an equal opportunity employer. Any information collected during the recruitment will be solely used for employment recruitment purposes only under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act. We thank all applicants; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.